Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #168
Al Bundy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108676
What I Drive: 2001 Focus Zetec 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 Al Bundy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Very good write up.

I did this job myself and it took about 7 hours with the cam locking tool and the crank tdc pin. I also changed the accessory drive belt and tensioner, the engine mount, the radiator, thermostat, tappet cover gasket and cooling fan. (The fan mounting was damaged in an accident and then subsequently damaged the radiator but the insurance would fix it.. a whole other story)

I had never attempted a cam belt change before on any engine, let alone a twin cam unit. Luckily my neighbor used to own a workshop and he gave me some pointers on how to loosen the Crank bolt (put a breaker bar on it and crank the starter) etc.

I followed the FSM instructions and loosened the cam gears to change the belt. Had to figure out how to put 100+ Nm of torque into the cam bolts without breaking the camshafts. I ran out of nerve at about 90 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/i..._strongman.gif. It seems to be holding up well after 2 years.

The car seemed a bit more responsive after the belt change. Maybe the new belt fixed the cam timing that was off by a few degrees due to the old belt being stretched?

I also had a rough idle after I put everything together but that was the plug wires not seated properly in the coil pack. Had that problem before so I knew how to fix it.

Otherwise, the job is not too difficult but like the OP stated, take your time, follow the steps and use the correct tools and you won't have any problems.