Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
Everyone who has a DCT trans and think they have, or do not have, issues with it... I strongly suggest to go test drive an automatic Volkswagen car with the DSG Transmission. This way you'll have another dual clutch auto transmission to compare your DCT to.
My wife has a DSG Golf

No noises. No issues. However, the Golf DOES learn your driving habits. Case in point -- when my wife drives, the car shifts very smoothly. But because of our different habits with the gas pedal, when I am in stop-go traffic, often we get jerky acceleration as I'm on/off the pedals a lot, as if the car is dropping the clutch rather hard. It also has a dull THUD when that occurs. Sort of what the Ford document describes actually.

In general though, the Golf DSG shifts a LOT smoother than the 2012 Focus that I drove for a week as a rental. It performs better in idle-speed, stop/go traffic too.

That's why I bought a manual, although it still clicks when I upshift 1-2 and 2-3, unless I rev-match EXACTLY. Which is sort of annoying considering I never had to do that with other cars.