Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford's letter regarding the "PowerShift 6 Speed Operating Characteristics"
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Jay 918 View Post
i still say this all could have been avoided if they just used the Fusion 6 speed auto. i don't know if the DCT was already being sold in Europe, but if not then couldn't they have saved some money just by sourcing the Fusion transmission?
The 6F35 is less efficient, having a fluid coupling (torque converter) and lots of hydraulics. The dry dual clutch Powershift DCT is lighter, simpler, and more efficient when it is functioning properly having been based on a pair of three speed manual transmissions sharing a single transmission case and actuated using servo motors for the gear selection and the clutch actuation.

Personally as long as the DCT works correctly I prefer it over even over a properly working 6F35.

I don't like how the 6F35 operates. The constant locking and unlocking of the torque converter while trying to maintain speed on the freeway, and the fact that it won't shift to 6th before 41 mph in every 2.5 or 3.0L Fusion I'd driven.

It was merely adequate with the 1.6 L ecoBoost in the Escape, but I am not sold on its long term longevity even more so than the DCT. Ford has never really built a great fwd torque converter backed planetary automatic transmission, certainly none of the products to come from the Van Dyke Assembly plant have held up that well. Although in some cases that's due to the prior owners not maintaining them at intervals much more frequently than recommended by the owners guide or the service manual. The AX4N/4F50N tended to implode some point just past 100,000 miles without fail.