Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2000. Blower motor going bad?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB488 View Post
I have a 2000 se that the heater is acting up in. I bought the car with 74k miles on it and as far as I know it's completely stock. Early last year my climate control fan speed switch burnt out. Not a big deal, $28 at a local car auto parts dealer. Right after this new year, my heater again stopped working. It was the same symptoms as last time so I assumed it was the switch again, tore the switch out and opened it up and it was spotless inside. After some troubleshooting I found it was the F64 fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel. Also, the fan had quit working on all low speeds, so I replaced the resistor pack so I had heat again at variable speed, but left the glove box out and the resistor pack hanging down till I could get into a garage to change it since it's cold out. Well about 30 minutes into driving yesterday evening the resistor pack went bad again, it just stopped blowing on lower speeds and works on 4. My question is, do you guys think the blower motor itself is going bad causing it to draw too much for the resistor pack to handle? It makes a little bit of odd noise when it runs. And as soon as the resistor pack failed I reached down and the wires and pack itself were pretty warm. Any other ideas to check while I'm at it? I would just like to do everything at once and get it buttoned up and not have to worry about it again. Thank you!
I literally had this exact same problem on my old ZTS. Went through 3 resistor packs in 6 months before I changed out the actual blower motor itself. After I changed out the blower motor I never blew another resistor pack for the remaining 2 years I had that car.

The part number for the blower motor I picked up was TYC 700105. IIRC I paid ~$40 for it from Amazon. Also, if your going to replace your resistor pack again, Amazon has them (Dorman 973-012) for ~$15.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's