Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - zx3 dohc solid lifter adjusment updated discussion
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,942, Level 33
Points: 2,942, Level: 33 Points: 2,942, Level: 33 Points: 2,942, Level: 33
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 41%
Activity: 41% Activity: 41% Activity: 41%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If they are not out a huge amount you can simply reface the tips of the valves to do the same thing, in fact, if they were all close before, standard procedure is to reface tips a commensurate amount to make up for the valve grinding. Say .010" taken off 45 degree angle valve, then .005" would be taken off tip to keep shim or bucket the same. Of course seat grinding affects things too.

You can find a short valve and/or thinner bucket to get clearance at all and simply pre-assemble using a single light spring from hardware store to check and measure with feeler guage every position to find clearance, then figure what you need to get back to spec. Spring should be light enough you can easily push valve open with a finger but repeat pulling back shut to check clearance. You won't even need any tools to assemble, only your fingers.

Meaning you may not need many new parts at all. Simply measuring for clearance will show that you can reuse some buckets in different positions from what they were. Many do that but I prefer to keep a running bucket on that cam lobe. If only polished then swapping OK but if a pattern has developed you should keep that bucket with that lobe. If swapping, at the least I would go over the rubbing surface with 400 sandpaper to give a better chance of proper break-in. Course, that's just me, these actually have very little spring pressure so swapping not as critical as on motors with lots of spring tension.

Hoping you're just doing exhausts, the intakes generally only need to be hand lapped back in, they rarely wear, and again use all same parts except seals. The exhausts go through hell though and need to be cut.

The reason you don't find much info is because most cars never get this done, even Ford looked at me like I was crazy once when I bought a couple, said they NEVER do that work. In all fairness to them the parts are extremely durable and most motors go to the scrapyard before enough wear there to cause troubles.........a far cry from the '60s when you had to adjust that stuff once a month.