Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Overall Satisfaction w/Focus DCT
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #87
vacman
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 107472
What I Drive: '13 5M white Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 vacman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blknblumark View Post
I've driven 3 cars with this transmission, and have been satisfied with two of them.

My wife's car (2011 Fiesta SES - Nov 2010 build date) must have had one of the earlier units, it had to be driven in a specific way to not shudder and sputter. I'm sure it did not help that the car had merely adequate power. The wife loved the rest of the car, but hated the tranny and lack of power. We put 20k on this car, I can't tell you if it got better or she just learned how to deal with it.

I had a 2012 Focus SE HB (base model DCT, no options that I could tell, not even SYNC) as a rental car for 28 days. It had around 22k on it when I received it, I returned it with just over 25k. This car is why we bought one. I get rentals rotated every month, all brands and sizes, and this car was in fantastic shape. It drove and acted like a new car. I ran the snot out of it, tried to duplicate the issues with the Fiesta and had no issues. There were the usual scrapes and dings, but other wise it was tight, clean and problem free.

So we bought a 2013 Ti, loaded ~3 weeks ago. 1200 miles later, no problems at all.

I will admit, I would prefer the wet clutch DSG setup in my 08 GTI to the dry clutches. $250 20k service intervals and all.
I nearly bought a new TDI with DSG but all the HPFP horror stories drove me away. They are terrific cars, but $9k to repair a fuel system which may be damaged just by filling up at a station with a small amount of cross contamination? No thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile