ah1f39
Alone in the Cave

Fan#: 70006
What I Drive: 2000 Explorer 4x4, 04 Mini Cooper S

FF Reputation: 28 ah1f39 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
My point was that you have to look at cost/benefit when making performance mods. I have to believe the other posters saying to leave the cat alone understand the same thing.

If you ask people "is it better to mod a 1.8L or replace it with a 2.0L and mod that" quite a lot will say to start with the 2.0 - they say this because they understand that you can spend thousands on a 1.8L increasing HP and far less just swapping it out for a larger displacement engine that has the same amount of power as the modded 1.8L.

In other words people have no problem understanding cost/benefit calculations when it comes to getting more HP with increasing displacement.

But, for some reason when it comes to what I call "barnyard performance mods", a lot of people's logic and understanding of cost/benefit goes right out the window.

They myth that 20-30hp is just available for 3 hours Saturday morning's work with about 25 bucks worth of tools and $100 worth of parts just doesen't seem to want to die.

From the looks of it the OP left this thread a long time ago, so we are just arguing for the fun of it, now...
The only one talking "barnyard mods" is you. Please stop adding garbage to this thread.

People who have the correct knowledge have given good advice.

Do some research, learn about the FOCUS and Zetec, then give advice.