Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Cat delete pipe for 2002 ford focus
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #32
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

Points 224, Level 4
Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4 Points: 224, Level: 4
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 2 tmittelstaedt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My point was that you have to look at cost/benefit when making performance mods. I have to believe the other posters saying to leave the cat alone understand the same thing.

If you ask people "is it better to mod a 1.8L or replace it with a 2.0L and mod that" quite a lot will say to start with the 2.0 - they say this because they understand that you can spend thousands on a 1.8L increasing HP and far less just swapping it out for a larger displacement engine that has the same amount of power as the modded 1.8L.

In other words people have no problem understanding cost/benefit calculations when it comes to getting more HP with increasing displacement.

But, for some reason when it comes to what I call "barnyard performance mods", a lot of people's logic and understanding of cost/benefit goes right out the window.

They myth that 20-30hp is just available for 3 hours Saturday morning's work with about 25 bucks worth of tools and $100 worth of parts just doesen't seem to want to die.

From the looks of it the OP left this thread a long time ago, so we are just arguing for the fun of it, now...