Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Anyone tried E85 yet?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #63
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 51,387, Level 100
Points: 51,387, Level: 100 Points: 51,387, Level: 100 Points: 51,387, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Yes IF and I use IF loosely VP fuels are that high in octane they must be using a base fuel of 98-100 to mix the ethanol with to = e85 (most pump e85 are 87-94 octane) then they have total control over each batch they make keeping the octane lever where they advertise it at , there if there is water absorbed into the e85 you can loose as much as 3 octane points and no even know it , this is where an a ethanol test kit which I carry in my car for the states with e10 and have pulled away from MANY pumps after testing

e10 fuel only has a shelf life of 90-100 days and if it has water in it and they do the # of days drop even less and thats from the date its mixed at the refinery not the delivered date http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline...hanol_E10.html

This is NOT THE SAME when it comes to the watered down crap you buy from the pumps that changes octane with each batch and how long it sits for , If your using the VP E85 then were talking a whole new ball game and yes I would retest and maybe try using E85 again

UPDATE : After talking with a friend of mine at VP he stated they have a C85(E85) race fuel they sell as of last year , it is rated at 98 octane , If VP fuels with there quality controls is only rated 98 should make you go Hmmmmmmmm??????? with what your buying at the pumps , VP fuels and I have a long history to gather love there fuels over the years

From VP fuels http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html
NEW! C85™
If you’re committed to using E85 type fuels, C85 is by far your best choice. Conventional E85 fuels are notoriously inconsistent, requiring up to a two-jet swing in tuning from one batch of E85 to the next. By contrast, C85 is blended with a consistent proportion of ethanol and every other component in every drum. In addition to taking all the guesswork out of tuning, C85 makes up to 4% more power and torque than conventional E85. With higher quality pure components, C85 is superior to E85 in terms of cooling effect, resistance to detonation and even includes corrosion inhibitors to fight the issues presented by ethanol. C85 works well in drag racing, oval track, off road and virtually any other automotive application, in particular forced induction applications due to its lower vapor pressure. Tests of C85 indicate most applications will require richening up by 1 jet size, or 2-3% over current jetting. Note that for racers unwilling to invest in the new carb and expensive fuel system upgrade required for E85, VP’s MS109, VP113 and Q16 continue to be the best race gas alternatives for the money.

TYPICAL VALUES
• Color: Yellow
• Motor Octane: 90
• R+M/2: 98
• Specific Gravity: .793 @ 60F

My cost per gallon if buying 55 gallons sells for $10.83

Look at the specific gravity of this C85 (E85)

Even there VP100 ethanol is only 100 octane , he was curious where you got your octane # from , Here is a list of all VP fuels octane http://www.vpracingfuels.com/master-fuels-table

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus