View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I had a mechanic blatantly get in face and tell me he has been a mecahnic for 35 years and i'm talking out of my ass about a valve seat problem. He said he has worked on focuses for years and I should never not believe what I read on the internet.

This is after I gave my SPI more than regular maintenance, and I babied the cap out of it. I took the car to him after the motor blew with 160K on the odometer. I told him the problem with these engines and I offered to pay for him to do a zetec swap. At this point he treated me like shit and refused to do a zetec swap. He basically called me a idiot ad said he will only put in the car what it came with.

Three days later he calls me back and tells me he just off the phone with a friend that owns a parts yard. He said it looks like I was right, and it would actually be cheaper to do the zetec swap because of the on going valve seat issue you can't find a rebuilt spi for under $2000. this is before shipping. On top of all that I would have to pay for 10 hours of labor @ 75 bucks a hr. Then I would also need to pay for fluids, hoses, and possible other parts. He said at the cheapest I was looking at $3500 easily.