mbakker21
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 31766
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 mbakker21 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation Help please

Hello Everyone,
I know this is a bit long but I will start from the beginning. Approx 3 months ago I was having a bad idle issue, where my car idle would drop off completely anytime it was a standstill (was fine while moving) It never actually stalled but came very close a few times. My CEL was on as well and because I live in Canada I had to get my bi-annual emmisions testing done before I could reinsure. I took the car to a local mechanic and he was really good. I turned out to be the pcv hose, he replaced it and did a complete once-over and it seemed fine. Fast-Forward 3 months and its time to replace the timing belt (195000kms im Canadian lol ) I have a friend who is very mechanically inclined and we decide to work on it together to save some $$. I ordered a new gates timing belt component kit (belt, idler pulley and tensioner), waterpump, valve cover gasket, serpentine belt and timing bar and pin kit. We followed all of the instructions to the dot and had no issues with installing all the parts. After looking at the spark plugs they seemed a bit warn out so I replaced those as well. We got it all back together and started the car. I started first try but after a min it started hesitating and having power hops up and down. Started researching it and realized on of the spark plug boots was pretty damaged. We replaced all the spark plug wires (because it seemed to be misfiring on a cylinder) it started again no problem and after about 2 mins it started hopping again, this time the rpms were falling quite drastically. Did some research and OBD reader said cylinder 1 and 4 misfire. Because these 2 cylinders align on the ignition coil it made sense. Hooked up a multimeter and tested resistance. Sure enough 1 and 4 weren't right. Soooooo replaced the ignistion coil.
Started like a dream no issues with idle seemed perfect. Went on test drive 5 minutes in engine stalls after going around corner at very slow speeds. Starts fine no large engine rattling, just severe idle issues at standstill. In your opinion is this timing belt, ignition or possible related to previous issue I had 3 months ago.
Im sorry this was so long, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks