Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #200
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey guys,

I have been changing my oil on every car I have ever owned, as well as many friends cars... but apparently tonight is not my night.

I changed the oil in my focus for the first time tonight and the original instructions really helped. I got everything put back together and the car back on the ground. I put about 4 Qt into the car and ran it for a few minutes. I checked the dipstick and the oil was just at the bottom of the stick.

This is where i get confused. I added some more oil to top it up (probably half a Qt) and, after letting it sit for a minute, checked the dipstick. The oil was about half way up the length of the dipstick...

After walking around for a few minutes walking around in frustration, I jacked the car back up, took off the shield, drained about half a Qt of oil, and put it back together again. checked the oil when it was back on the ground, and it was back to what it was the first time, just at the bottom of the stick, not even into the hash marks.

I had learned my lesson the first time, and added almost no oil, and checked the stick... it was back up almost halfway on the stick (almost a foot over the max fill...

So, I ran the car for a few minutes, and am going to let it sit for some time to see if it goes down.

TL;DR
Is it VERY easy to overfill the oil in the focus, or am I missing something?
Thanks in advance guys, its been a long day.