Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Car won't catch idle
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Pinging in cold weather on high octane fuel, and you're having trouble keeping it running until the engine warms up? It's either a vacuum leak or a sticking injector, but something is making you lean.

Tune-ups, especially in this car, don't really have to cost a lot of money. One thing you might take a second to learn, if you want to diagnose internal engine problems- the standard 20k mile spark plug is your friend. Spark plug deposits will tell you more than code readers if you know what you're looking at. Another lost art is simply cleaning plugs. You don't have to replace plugs if the plug isn't bad, just remove, clean, regap, reinstall.

BTW, are you turbocharged? Modified pistons? Camshafts? What are your mods? That might give me some ideas to help you. For example, if you recently installed a cotton/oil filter like a K&N, then you might want to seriously consider cleaning your MAF. That one tends to make the engine run rich and your problem seems to be lean, but it's worth knowing so we can cross it off. I always recommend that people clean the MAF weekly for a month after filter cleaning, re-oiling, and primary installation.

One thing with a new CAI or filter is the A/F reset. If you haven't done that- even a tune might not keep you from pinging.

Tell us more bro.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.