Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone tried E85 yet?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #52
enginjoe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105845
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 enginjoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshlyFunkTFocus View Post
Not to be a fanboy or anything but Tom's knowledge, advice and wisdom is priceless. I've been lurking the forums for about 5 years and Tom has always been around to help. You can't buy better info than Tom provides for free. I can't say I've ever seen him stand behind any of his opinions without significant backing data or experience. Personally, I feel fortunate that we have his expertise to draw on. I for one do not feel safe using E85 after reading the facts and peoples' experiences. Why risk it, especially for what seem to be negligible gains for the money invested. I also might add that his FF reputation is well earned. You might stand to gain something by listening to an expert.
Haha, that is very funny. We are talking about E85 in the ST here. Neither Tom nor I are experts in this area. In fact, from my research, nobody is and that was the point of this thread, to find out if someone had tried it in the ST.

I am not an E85 noob. I've been daily driving with it for almost 5 years. I tuned the car myself at first using primitive methods (mapclamp, fuel pressure regulator and boost while monitoring for knock and AFRs) until an SCT programmer was available for the platform.

I personally wouldn't do it on a carb'd car ever. I think fuel injected with a controller that could deal with the variations in ethanol level would be much better. I also think the improvements on an N/A car are limited to the point where I wouldn't do that either.

It sounds like Tom has worked with mostly old school stuff, so now I get where he's coming from. The modern muscle car guys are more likely to be into E85. They don't have to bring their fuel systems 'up to E85 standards'. Hondas, and Nissans are not those kind of cars in general. The LS motor cars (mostly boosted ones), the wrx subarus, the evos, the MS3s, the srt-4s and the boosted mustangs are the main group of people I've observed using it with success.

Again, it's not for everybody, because it's not always readily available and the car needs to be a newer modern car and have the fuel capacity and tuning to run it.