Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone having problems with rust spots?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #50
the_dog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97263
What I Drive: Subaru Impreza

FF Reputation: 1 the_dog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
let me add, DO NOT mess around with a clay bar or doing any junk like that! Put all of your efforts into the dealer right now. Paint is warrantied and that is still BS. Part of the thousands you spent on the car goes into that warranty, use it!
Industrial fallout is not warrantied, and in fact is totally NORMAL. It is not specific to Ford, it occurs on all cars with paint. If you wash your car and then use a clay bar with Meguiar's Quik Exterior Detail as a lubricant, there is virtually NO WAY you can damage your paint with a clay bar. There are no harsh chemicals, and as long as the car is clean you are not going to scratch the paint. Try a clay bar on a small section before you take it to the dealership or do anything else- it is specifically designed for this.

In general, dealerships don't have a clue how to properly treat paint on a car, hence DIS (dealer-installled-swirls) on most lots. The dealership is the last place I would go to address this. If the clay bar doesn't work, which I'm sure it will, I would head to a detailer and have them look at it before having someone from the dealership create new problems for you.