Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone having problems with rust spots?
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #48
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krizayjm View Post
E30og stated in the first post I currently have 20k miles, purchased the car in march 2012 I live in ohio which yes there is salt on the roads and I do 90% highway driving. I've owned 4 cars in my past and have need seen rust start to develop after 9 short months or not even make it through one winter.
Its the Salt and the Highway driving, along with the STEEP angle our hoods face the road. After like 6 months of (almost strictly) highway driving with mine, my hood was peppered the entire way up! best solution is protection, but first get those rust spots taken care of. Go to the dealer and blast them....go through the pain and agony of forcing Ford to repaint it (warranty! use it!)

AFTER it is totally taken care of, the only way to prevent it is protection. Get a 3m ClearBra for the entire front end...bumper fenders etc.

Additionally, when you do the hood, get the entire hood covered; the hood is at such an angle that the whole thing is just as exposed as the little strip they usually do in the front end. If the entire hood costs too much, buy the 3m paint protection film off fleaby and do it yourself, or try to pay one of the tint guys under the table to do it. Totally worth it and very important! If you don't do the entire hood (with your driving conditions), plan on repainting it in the future. It is definitely easy enough to be a DIY type of project, but it's just time consuming.