Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Alternator works randomly
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,088, Level 97
Points: 27,088, Level: 97 Points: 27,088, Level: 97 Points: 27,088, Level: 97
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I agree, it's time to start planning on replacing the alternator. So far, the 05+ Focis don't seem to have alternator plug-in connector problems that are fairly common on the earlier Focis. I do not know why this is, and as those cars age it will surely become more common. There are ways to watch alternator output while driving, but it's more for curiosity at this point. You just need a new alternator. Here's where I make my plug for you finding a local rebuilder- because that's a trademark of mine. You support your local small businesses, also in my experience it is much cheaper, and more reliable. Local automotive electrical rebuilders are in every municipality. These businesses might disappear as parts swapping DIYers get wooed by lifetime warranties, so reap the savings and benefits while you can. I got mine rebuilt for $80.

To double check your alternator problems use the electronic odometer method and monitor voltage while you drive. This will tell you if you're having problems with losing voltage via the alternator while driving, low battery voltage before starting, or high alternator voltage while driving. High voltage can kill your battery, and is not good for the rest of the electrical system either.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.