Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford releases OpenXC Platform. Hack your Focus!
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
peplin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108370
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Coat Red Mustang V6

FF Reputation: 1 peplin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey, this is Chris from the OpenXC team.

WackyWRZ is right - OpenXC is independent of any particular infotainment system since we go straight to the OBD-II port. That includes other OEMs (if they decide to release CAN message definitions or OpenXC firmwares) and really any Ford vehicle. The support vehicles list right now is basically everything we've been able to track down with the limited amoutn of resources we have, but if someone requests a specific Ford car I make it a priority to look it up and add at least tentative support to OpenXC.

gkirk, you're right about most of the data being available through the dashboard visually. The critical difference (and what we're so excited about) is that you can't write a software application that processes your dashboard visually, you need it in some programmatic form.

The topic of the widely available and inexpensive OBD-II scanners came up yesterday in the OpenXC Google Group (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...xc/fzkXY_k3wR0) I'd love to add support for these to the Android library so more people can start writing custom apps without investing in hardware. Anyone here with software experience?