Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Another One Bites The Dust
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #99
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Actually the Focus line has been using dual-clutch transmissions for a few years now. The difference is this is the first *DRY* clutch variant they've ever made. Dry clutches have less leeway and can't handle stresses as well as a wet clutch. This is where the problem lies...they decided to try a dry-clutch because it can eek out another 1-2mpg over the wet variant.

The problem is they didn't realize you need an entirely different type of engineering and programming strategy when using dry clutch transmissions. They can't handle the variances that wet clutch would have no trouble with...things have to be more exact.
I give them a lot of credit for going with the dry and hopefully as they manufacture more and work to get that sweetspot on software calibration it will lead to a better notoriety. I haven't looked into it much since I've stopped trying to nag my partner for his routine maintenance but is there any major servicing for the DCT? I was thinking the greatest benefit would be cheaper cost versus wet as his previous car was a Jetta with the DSG and I was shocked at the price of servicing every 40,000 miles with the fluid around 225.00 plus other recommendations that always seemed to stretch the bill to 600.00!