Eiron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77999
What I Drive: 2002 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 3 Eiron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdivito View Post
is there a way to tell if the timing belt and pullys have been changed? the previous owner didnt tell me anything about it. im at 108k and if it hasnt been changed im gonna get to it asap.
Well, have you looked at it yet? I mean, to see if there's any visible indications of age? Our '02 had 140k mi on it when we bought it & the timing belt was visibly cracked as it stretched over the tops of the cam pullies. You do have a little time to get it done. I waited another 2 yrs & 16k mi before replacing ours.

If the SVT's spark plugs have the same 100k mi replacement interval as our 'normal' '02 Zetec does, looking at the spark plugs may be a better indicator than looking at the timing belt. Why? Because most people sell their vehicles when a major service interval rolls around & they feel the car isn't 'worth it' to keep up on the required maintenance. Since your car just turned 100k, chances are they didn't bother replacing plugs either. And if they didn't replace $16 worth of plugs, then they probably didn't spend the money on the timing belt. But that's just a guess, really. Our '02 still had the original plugs when we bought it & it ran perfectly! When I pulled them out I discovered that the ground (side) electrodes had all worn away to points & the gaps were all about twice as large as spec!