Ysteven
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101029
What I Drive: 2012 oxford white sel, H2, F-150

FF Reputation: 1 Ysteven Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
The hesitation issue may be the nature of the beast. I bet you experience this when accelerated fairly gently, with shift points at say 2,300 - 2,500 RPMs, like in much urban/suburban traffic? Early shift points are engineered into almost all cars these days for better fuel economy, so this isn't unique to the Focus. However, after the upshift the engine is barely turning more than 1,500 RPMs and there just isn't much torque available, so the engine seems to bog or hesitate. Once up the torque curve a bit, things are fine again.

Why is this so noticeable in the Focus? Conventional automatics have a torque converter to multiply the torque produced by the engine and smooth out unevenness in power deliver. The Focus has none; the clutch can help with this at launch, but not in subsequent gear changes. So the solution to me seems to be live with it or drive it more aggressively.
I disagree on this one. They do can change that buy changing shift schedule. Conventional trans will smoothly down shift and go to lower gear, after that it all will go into up shift mode. I believe they can reprogram DCTs individually to the drivers comfort.
I have exactly same issues and grinding 1-3. Dealer put me on the Fords hotline, got call back, as my dealer said: ford wants them to reset and relearn trans. Cause luckily I drove another Focus with 24k miles with tech an car drove smooth, I have much less miles. So good thing we agreed that something fishy with my DCT. I hope next time we get somewhere with repairs.