Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Anyone tried E85 yet?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #49
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
Sounds like below average tuning skills using it in the wrong applications to me.
I think if you do a little looking I am a good tuner that knows what he is doing and stays to the safe side of everything , NA big blocks , jets were changed , fuel systems brought up to e85 standards , boosted hondas tuned with hondata , nissans tuned with AEM standalones and it goes on and on , I tested e85 for a long time and on many many cars and yes it worked ok on some but the majority it didnt , the fuel was far to inconsistent

I can honestly say that not one car on e85 I could say wow that stuff works great , most of the time it was wow that cost a lot to get it to where you could safely us e85 (Injectors , fuel lines , fuel pumps, retune , dyno time etc) then I would ask why did you change only to get the answer that earls brothers next door neighbor said it would add 50 HP just by adding e85 and retuning , and in the end they all stated it wasnt worth the time and money spent for the little gains they got , even the ones that made a little power with it , not a one that I know of ran it long and went back to another tune on 95-100 fuels

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
I've seen people blown their motors on every type of fuel. That's the life when you are modding your car.
The cars I know about had been running 95 to 100 race fuel for years , after blowing engines on e85 went back to 95-100 and had no more issues and I wasnt the only tuner on all these cars but some

I 100% agree I also have seen people blow there engines on everything from e85 to c116 , all depends on the engine builder and engine tuner , I can say I have seen a far higher failure rate with e85 then 95+

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus