Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Another One Bites The Dust
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #96
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb911 View Post
I was not blaming a majority of users but honestly sit in a dealership service area for a while and listen to the people complaining in my experience of the rhode island area as I bought my car at one dealer and now have it serviced at another the complaints were a little mind boggling. The DCT is Fords first forray into double clutch and is a good one. is quality going to be that tried and tested engineering...no, never will be. it was a shame of the issues and complete ignorance to build quality (i guess you can say that for a majority of the Focus) have handicapped it as such. One credit to Ford is that they have stepped up and admitted to the problems and that cannot be said with other companies in recent history.

The whole point of my post was to be tongue and cheek. I have had past experiences with double clutch transmission including my partner's DCT titanium (which has yet to have a problem) and is still a technology that needs improvement just like everything else in a modern car in an age where we are pushing for absolute quality/power/fuel mileage/price/safety etc.... I get the whole idea of having an automated manual instead of a regular automatic for the fuel benefits of not using a torque converter but as for acting with the smoothness of an auto it's not going to happen no way you put it especially in a dry clutch set up... even VW with a wet based clutch can't emulate it.

in a perfect world yes people should understand differences in the powertrain and features that they are buying but this is not the case and nor will they understand. Ford should have offered a standard auto on the models with an option for DCT on the more performance oriented models but then cost would have been a factor.

And to end on a more humerus situation:

as for fire related and cant duplicate problem my jeep's heated seat caught fire one brisk afternoon after turning it on and I was given a "you must have messed with the wiring as we could not duplicate this problem" that was a slap in the face moment
Actually the Focus line has been using dual-clutch transmissions for a few years now. The difference is this is the first *DRY* clutch variant they've ever made. Dry clutches have less leeway and can't handle stresses as well as a wet clutch. This is where the problem lies...they decided to try a dry-clutch because it can eek out another 1-2mpg over the wet variant.

The problem is they didn't realize you need an entirely different type of engineering and programming strategy when using dry clutch transmissions. They can't handle the variances that wet clutch would have no trouble with...things have to be more exact.