Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2000 Focus help diagnosing issue with fan on
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
fingersuk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105109
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 fingersuk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalz View Post
Hello! Did you ever find the source of the leak that you had in summer? Now would be a good time to open the system up, do a complete flush. I have a suspicion that the stop leak has found its way into the heater core. You say fan is on almost right away? Are you running in defrost? If car is equipped with a/c, compressor will run, and fan may come on? even with heat called for.
1. Try to find leak, so it can be repaired properly.
2. Drain and flush everything thouroghly.
3. I would replace thermostat since system is open.
Good luck! This should give you a good starting point.
Afraid not, id suspect it was the thermostat casing but didnt have a car lift to check it and couldnt afford to have it in at the time hence the diy approach (even if it has caused more problems now!).

The fan is on pritty much all the time, car is not on defrost assuming you mean windscreen defrost. I'll double check the hoses make sure there ok but just done some research and some valvoline radiator flush + distilled water isnt too bad so if i flush the existing coolant, add distilled water and radiator flush keep car running for a good 15minute plus then drain then replace thermostat and casing then finally new coolant ~ 40 in parts plus my time so worth a punt.

My wife's dad is a mechanic but doesnt have a lift and works mainly on robin reliant's so he can make sure I do the thermostat bit properly to get a garage todo it will cost good few hours labour....