Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - New car opinions?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
cconley,

Let me give you some advice. I have 2 kids, one 14 years old the other 10 years old.

When the first one was born my wife said what your wife is probably saying "we gotta get a suv/minivan/biggercar so I can carry all the s^^t around like the stroller, etc. for the baby"

So we did. In fact we bought 2. And we got rid of our small 4 bangers.

But, I just sold the one minivan and the second one is going to end up parked. And damn I am kicking myself that I didn't save one of the 4 bangers.

Your days of needing to carry around all the s&&t for the baby will scream by. Trust me on this. And one day - not very far in the future - your going to wake up and realize you can't stand driving the slushmobile, it has no pickup whatsoever, and you haven't had to haul the kids and their s&&t around for years, and when you do haul them, they don't occupy the space they used to.

The only people who are ever happy driving big slushmobiles are people who have never driven small powerful 4 bangers and don't know what they are missing.

I happen to own a V8 myself, it's a Ford 302 in a 68 Torino. When I feel the need for raw accelleration I take it to the track, and punch it. But there's no way I could possibly afford to keep that 16mpg gas hog happy, it stays in the garage most days.

If you have small cars KEEP THEM. Go buy a used minivan. It will be far easier to haul all the baby-s$%t around. Then when you have used it up and the babies are able to dress themselves - dump it.