Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #32
powermax
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105453
What I Drive: Ex 2012 Ford Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 2 powermax Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
It depends on where or how you drive, I don't have a scan gauge, but I do have the AGS and if you put the car into test mode (hold down the left OK button on the steering wheel from before the car starts until after the computer boots up and says TEST and scroll up or down you'll see various test parameters including the actual temperature sensor reading in degrees C.

The standard gauge is basically an idiot light for the most part reading normal before the car has even heated above 50C, normal operating temperature is nearer to 90-97C depending on conditions. I haven't timed the warm up, but the car can go from 14 or 21C up to around 60 + C in just a mile or so in town at slow speeds and getting stuck at lights, e.x. stopping for lunch during the work day, the car cools down to 50ish c and then heats back up to maybe 70ish on the return mile depending on how long you take to get back out.

The AGS doesn't seem to work for me visibly unless its really cold and I've commanded maximum heating performance (max defrost), or rather it didhn't start to become noticeably effective until winter. During the summer months or with the a/c on in the fall I did not see the shutters completely closed.

This doesn't mean they weren't working or that they are broken, they could have been partially closed while driving along, however when the car was parked each time I went to look through the lower grille (the one that is easier to see the shutters in) was wide open.

The top and bottom grille shutters are linked to a single motor and temperature sensor as far as I know.
Latelly mine are almost always 100% closed. Canadian winter + short route to work.