Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Another One Bites The Dust
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
kb911
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91864
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver SE Hatch 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 kb911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
What are you blathering on about sir? You've totally missed the mark. The majority of complaints are from people expecting their DCT to act like an automated manual. Most have experienced a perfectly operating DCT in the first few weeks or months of ownership, maybe longer, and therefore know exactly how the DCT is SUPPOSED to operate. It's only when the seals decide to start leaking, or the software decides to do a HAL 9000, or some other malady and we start getting extreme shuddering or loss of power that we complain.

If you haven't experienced these things then you have no idea what I'm talking about and you should therefore pipe down.

And manuals often do not get better gas mileage than automatics these days, as is the case in the very Focus you are currently driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Given there are known problems with the DCT, notably lousy software for the first, oh 15 months of production, bad clutches (long-shoulder rivets were an intended solution) and leaking seals that contaminate the clutch plates, I think it's not quite right to blame the user. Most of us here knew exactly what we were buying, it just doesn't work very well for some.

As far as buying a manual, 3 problems for many of us: spouses and/or too short gearing on the manual and/or living in an urban environment where a manual is not very appealing.

Further, this is mass-market car that is sold to everyone from enthusiasts to grandmothers, not a Porsche. Without explanation (heck even with explanation) do you expect everyone in this population to understand the DCT difference? Do you think Ford tried to explain the differences to customers? Do you think the salespeople understand the difference? Should this group understand the pluses and minuses of direct fuel injection, too? Electric power assisted steering?

This is a troublesome gearbox. While the basics seem solid, the clutches and software are problems. Even Consumer Reports says so, giving the "transmission minor" trouble area its worst reliability mark.

If the 2013 Fusion had been available when I bought my Focus I probably would gone that way instead. Then I could participate in a forum about engines that catch fire instead. At least the dealer couldn't say "can't duplicate problem"!
I was not blaming a majority of users but honestly sit in a dealership service area for a while and listen to the people complaining in my experience of the rhode island area as I bought my car at one dealer and now have it serviced at another the complaints were a little mind boggling. The DCT is Fords first forray into double clutch and is a good one. is quality going to be that tried and tested engineering...no, never will be. it was a shame of the issues and complete ignorance to build quality (i guess you can say that for a majority of the Focus) have handicapped it as such. One credit to Ford is that they have stepped up and admitted to the problems and that cannot be said with other companies in recent history.

The whole point of my post was to be tongue and cheek. I have had past experiences with double clutch transmission including my partner's DCT titanium (which has yet to have a problem) and is still a technology that needs improvement just like everything else in a modern car in an age where we are pushing for absolute quality/power/fuel mileage/price/safety etc.... I get the whole idea of having an automated manual instead of a regular automatic for the fuel benefits of not using a torque converter but as for acting with the smoothness of an auto it's not going to happen no way you put it especially in a dry clutch set up... even VW with a wet based clutch can't emulate it.

in a perfect world yes people should understand differences in the powertrain and features that they are buying but this is not the case and nor will they understand. Ford should have offered a standard auto on the models with an option for DCT on the more performance oriented models but then cost would have been a factor.

And to end on a more humerus situation:

as for fire related and cant duplicate problem my jeep's heated seat caught fire one brisk afternoon after turning it on and I was given a "you must have messed with the wiring as we could not duplicate this problem" that was a slap in the face moment