Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - what should i do on my 2010 focus ses?
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #36
A7xschecter6661
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98263
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 A7xschecter6661 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crice8 View Post
Yeah my car did not come with painted door handles or mirror covers as it was an se. so I was having the 3dcarbon front lip and the primered handles and mirror caps all painted at the same time. My quotes just to have these items painted ranged from $290-428. And that was just to have them painted. I found a guy who did body work on the side for cheap but even then it cost me $220 and he was doing it out of his garage with his paint setup. When i asked a couple of the body shops what the whole kit would cost to be painted( i had 4 unpainted full kits at the time and 5 of varying colors at my apt haha) they said somewhere in the ballpark of $575-700 to paint the full kit. I sold the fully pre painted kits to members on here for $350 shipped lol
here's my issue with body places. You are paying for a skill. They know you will pay it because you don't know how to do it yourself. I prepped the pieces right there in front of the shop manager and he said I don't expect to see you even done with these 4 pieces within an hour. 45 minutes later I asked him ok what's next?

So Lets call it one hour to prep and $100-125 for paint.
Painting doesn't take long, you walk in the booth. Lay a coat on all the pieces and walk out. Total time consumed in set up and paint is less than 2 hours.

Totals
$125 for paint
3 Hours of prep and paint.

So at your figure of $700 you are paying the guy nearly $200 an hour to paint

Uhm how about no? lol

So if you don't know what you are doing or how it works they take advantage of you. The guy that did my kit was happy to get paid shop time to paint it, he even then got paid to help me install it and I threw him a tip. Don't let them take advantage of you, most of the time you're paying for is them waiting/working on something else.