Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #1798
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Unlikely you'll ever hit redline in 5th (not even sure the car is capable of doing so), but I think the car has two strategies to avoid over-revving. The first as you may have experienced is commanding an upshift of the transmission. The second is to cut off fuel supply to the engine, which I presume is what would happen if you hit redline in S/5.

Ultimately, the engine is well-protected against exceeding the redline. Unless you have a manual and make a really ill-advised downshift...
6500 rpm in 5th gear would be right around 142.6 mph with the 16" wheels.

Per car and driver the top speed is governor limited to 122 mph on the 2012 Focus as shown in this comparison chart to the Honda Civic EX. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...a-civic-ex.pdf

Therefore you would theoretically not be able to redline 5th gear before the governor kicks in and holds you back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Cool thanks. (I didnt' mean to type the smilies). By the way, is there a difference between DCT and DCPS? I have the dual clutch automated manual with manual mode - which is that? thx.
The DCT is the DCPS (DCPS = Dual Clutch PowerShift). You would have the DCPS (DCT250) with Select Shift.