Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1796
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Yes I may have lifted a bit of the throttle when that happened... I see, that makes sense that it would want to slow itself down... but I guess what really happened is that because I just got to the top of the hill, the hill must have slowed me down, so when i lifted off the gas it slowed down even more - just enough to make it shift to 2nd but still rev high as .

But if the car is auto-shifting and reving up to 6k rpm or more, it should be safe right? I was told that the DCT cannot be damaged by shifting, as well as it can't stall out. That being said, anything that it's doing automatically I pressume is safe?

So S-auto doesn't ever shift up to 6th? Even If I redline in 5th lol? I guess i'll have to find out for myself one day haha.
Unlikely you'll ever hit redline in 5th (not even sure the car is capable of doing so), but I think the car has two strategies to avoid over-revving. The first as you may have experienced is commanding an upshift of the transmission. The second is to cut off fuel supply to the engine, which I presume is what would happen if you hit redline in S/5.

Ultimately, the engine is well-protected against exceeding the redline. Unless you have a manual and make a really ill-advised downshift...