Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #1794
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Ok.
So today my car did another weird shift. I was already in sport mode, however I had not yet engaged manual mode - meaning it was in auto-sport mode (btw I just figured out that I could do that after like 3 weeks of driving the car lol). I was at the top of a small incline about to go downhilll (I was going about 30) when the car auto-shifted (because I was in auto-sport), however it shifted down to 2nd gear instead of up to 4th gear (and, naturally, reved up to about 6k rpm).
I'm not sure why it would downshift at the top of a hill going down like that. Anyone know?

On a side note, is red-lining when the rpm gets the the dashed red area or the solid red area on the rpm gauge? The dashed red area begins at 7k rpm. And solid red begins at 8k rpm I believe. Seems like it should go higher.. but then again I have no idea what i'm talking about lol.
It would downshift more aggressively in S-auto to maintain speed heading down the hill and to use more engine braking to prevent the car from accelerating down the hill (especially if you lifted off of the throttle at that time). That doesn't sound too unusual to what other people have described in S auto. Personally I don't spend so much time in S auto because it locks out 6th gear until you shift to it manually and then its in manual mode.

The redline is somewhere around 6500-6700 rpm in the dashed region. The tach is marked beyond this, but you really don't want to try to push it to 8000 rpm and I'm pretty sure it won't let you.