Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
(hold down the left OK button on the steering wheel from before the car starts until after the computer boots up and says TEST
Learned something new today. Thanks. Something to play with on the drive to work tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The AGS doesn't seem to work for me visibly unless its really cold and I've commanded maximum heating performance (max defrost), or rather it didn't start to become noticeably effective until winter. During the summer months or with the a/c on in the fall I did not see the shutters completely closed.

This doesn't mean they weren't working or that they are broken, they could have been partially closed while driving along, however when the car was parked each time I went to look through the lower grille (the one that is easier to see the shutters in) was wide open.

The top and bottom grille shutters are linked to a single motor and temperature sensor as far as I know.
The fun thing is, there is really three temperature control items impacting the temperature of the car.
1) A mechanical temperature control valve, or "thermostat", that opens and closes around 195degF
2) An electrically driven cooling fan on your radiator, that turns on at some temperature higher than 195degF. So for arguements sake, lets call that 205degF.
2a) Is this a two stage fan?
3) the AGS system, which let us assume should be trying to hold a temperature of 200degF.

Thus...
<195degF, thermostat closed, AGS closed, radiator fan off
~197degF, thermostat opens some, AGS closed, radiator fan off
~198degF, thermostat opened, AGS opened some, radiator fan off
~199degF, thermostat opened, AGS opened some more, radiator fan off
... you get the point
~205degF, Thermostat opened, AGS opened fully, radiator fan on

So, if I had AGS, I would have expected them to be completely closed until I reached mile # 16 of my testing this morning.