Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #27
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott02 View Post
In my opinion, yes, the AGS are why you heat up faster than a non-AGS car.

But with that said, are you sure you're heating up fast?
Why I ask is, that gauge on your dash is nothing more than a fancy looking idiot light. It's terribly innaccurate to reality, as it jumps up to the middle of the range, or what seems like operating temperature, but from what I can recall this morning, it's approx 50degF colder than operating temp.

What we really need is for someone else who has the AGS to be able to take data on a cold morning like I did. Then we would really see the difference.

Hmmmmm, perhaps I will have to go to my local dealer and drive a new one with AGS and watch how it heats up on my scangauge.
It depends on where or how you drive, I don't have a scan gauge, but I do have the AGS and if you put the car into test mode (hold down the left OK button on the steering wheel from before the car starts until after the computer boots up and says TEST and scroll up or down you'll see various test parameters including the actual temperature sensor reading in degrees C.

The standard gauge is basically an idiot light for the most part reading normal before the car has even heated above 50C, normal operating temperature is nearer to 90-97C depending on conditions. I haven't timed the warm up, but the car can go from 14 or 21C up to around 60 + C in just a mile or so in town at slow speeds and getting stuck at lights, e.x. stopping for lunch during the work day, the car cools down to 50ish c and then heats back up to maybe 70ish on the return mile depending on how long you take to get back out.

The AGS doesn't seem to work for me visibly unless its really cold and I've commanded maximum heating performance (max defrost), or rather it didn't start to become noticeably effective until winter. During the summer months or with the a/c on in the fall I did not see the shutters completely closed.

This doesn't mean they weren't working or that they are broken, they could have been partially closed while driving along, however when the car was parked each time I went to look through the lower grille (the one that is easier to see the shutters in) was wide open.

The top and bottom grille shutters are linked to a single motor and temperature sensor as far as I know.