Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Cruze Takes Top Spot in August
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
Arco-Zakus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 101658
What I Drive: 2014 SGM SE Sport Pkg Sedan 5sp-man

Points 708, Level 14
Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14 Points: 708, Level: 14
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 11 Arco-Zakus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
... Be a man and get the manual Focus. No transmission problems.
Thanks for the advice. I've been buying cars with manual transmissions only for >40 years, and was leaning in that direction already. (Other things in my life have done more to make me confident in my manhood, btw, even if I had preferred automatics instead. ;) The thing is, this time I'd like my next car to be one my wife doesn't mind driving and she does not enjoy driving a manual, so this could be a tough compromise. (She'd probably be happy with a Corolla as a second car, except for it being underpowered.) Besides, I think you probably bought the only '13 Focus sedan in the country with a manual trans. All the manuals I've seen while searching dealer inventory are hatchbacks.

Even if Ford gets the DCT's software perfect and makes its hardware bulletproof it will never behave like an automatic with a torque converter, so she might do better driving a "real" manual (she first learned to drive in one) than the DCT. No need to adjust to the DCT's unique "characteristics" like so many drivers seem to have a problem doing if you're the one working the clutch yourself. If Ford just gave buyers the option of getting a conventional automatic (a la Mazda3, Civic, Corolla, ...) this would be so much easier. (Probably driven by CAFE standards to eke out every possible mpg improvement in their bigger selling models.)

Unfortunately, as you noted, the DCT isn't the only problem early 3rd gen Focus owners have experienced that is delaying my decision to buy. Probably most of the people who bought all those Civics and Corollas didn't have the lattitude I do in waiting to buy something, so they passed on the Focus. That, or fun-to-drive isn't as high on their list as it is on mine. But then, how much fun can you have driving back and forth to the dealer to try to get them to fix noisey suspension, power steering failures, etc.? Or, stuck in the middle of DC with your GPS going all mayhem on you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h0Qvc6_MfQ (EDIT: I am not endorsing the company nor products promoted by this video, just the humor. At least I thought it was funny. Someone who has had similar problems may not.)

It looked like Ford had been doing so well with the Fusion's reliability for the past few years, I hope they get it right with the Focus soon.

Last edited by Arco-Zakus; 01-09-2013 at 03:15 PM.