Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
I can see your point. The Focus (especially the ST) is a bit brash. But then, I still find that kind of appealing in a way.

It's probably unfair to compare crappy rental models, so not much to say about the interior features. The one thing I have to slam is the terrible fabric they used on the dash and seats. It's this scratchy woven polyester horror, as though the car was made from leftover 1970s polo shirts from Sears.

But the Cruze drove ok. There's a dead spot in the center of the steering, probably so it doesn't seem twitchy on the highway. So less responsive than the Focus, and less quick of a turn-in. A bit underpowered, but that's common to most of the base models in the class.

I found the door oddly constricting, having to fold into the seat in a way I didn't with the Elantra or the Focus.

I would have likely preferred the Elantra, but there was just something... wrong with the suspension. There were times when a sideways force (bump while steering, wind gust) on the highway resulted in a a little lurch to the side. Disturbing. It didn't even happen all the time, so I couldn't get used to it. Only when conditions were just right (or wrong).
Funny that you'd mention the fabric. One car reviewer referred to it as leftover speaker covering. Sounds tacky to me.