Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #20
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Unless you KNOW that Ford didn't include AGSs in their EPA tests, then you too are in your own dark room telling me I'm wrong without proving that you're right.

I'd bet that your SFE gains are due to tires and aero covers more than they're due to the AGS, because the AGS is probably already taken into account, as it was SUPPOSED to be present on the cars.
I already gave you my reasoning, but I'll reiterate for you. Ford would not have taken credit for a technology responsible for 2-3mpg increase, as you claim, in their EPA ratings and then NOT included that technology in EVERY car they applied those EPA numbers to. It would've opened them to huge financial liability, as shown recently in the Hyundai / Kia case. Understand?

Now, back on topic, as for the REAL affect of adding the shudders, you say it's 2-3 mpg right? Well I just posted an article that stated that Chevy claims a 0.5mpg increase when used in the Cruze. And here's another article that states the following:

1) Ford says they reduce CO2 emissions by 2%. If we can assume that relates directly to a 2% decrease in fuel consumption, that means an increase from 31mpg to 31.6mpg, a 0.6mpg increase, consistent with the Cruze claim.

2) The effect of the shutters on the Malibu's drag coefficient was 0.007. That's a paltry 2.5% reduction.

3) The Ram's shutters improve fuel economy by 0.5%. So maybe in increase from 23 mpg to 23.1mpg.

http://www.thestar.com/wheels/articl...d-fuel-economy

Now I invite you to go out and find some 3rd party claims or data that support your 3mpg theory......