Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,271, Level 35
Points: 3,271, Level: 35 Points: 3,271, Level: 35 Points: 3,271, Level: 35
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Ha ha ha. Soooo, you're saying that Ford didn't install the shudders on many Foci for the '12 model year, but took credit for them in the EPA ratings for all Foci anyway? And risked a Hyundai style media fiasco? Seriously doubt it my friend.

No, I think the logical deduction is that the EPA ratings for non SFE models did not take into account the shutters and those cars that got them anyway just got an added bonus.

Incorrect. You will recall that the '12 base SEs were rated 28/38, but stepping up to the Sport package, which added SelectShift, reduced the ratings to 27/37.

Imagine all you want. That's what a dark room is for. I was simply asking the OP what his/her justification was. I believe it will be hard to prove a reasonable payback justification.
I recall just fine how they were rated and I'm sure that if you DROVE in SelectShift all the time your mileage would suffer, justifying the lower number. However the gearing and transmission are the same... adding a feature that allows the driver more precise control isn't going to cause any difference unless the feature is used. Don't use SelectShift, don't affect mileage.

Unless you KNOW that Ford didn't include AGSs in their EPA tests, then you too are in your own dark room telling me I'm wrong without proving that you're right.

I'd bet that your SFE gains are due to tires and aero covers more than they're due to the AGS, because the AGS is probably already taken into account, as it was SUPPOSED to be present on the cars.

So, as an example, why wouldn't the Titanium have better fuel economy numbers if they're standard with AGS? You think Ford is going to omit possible gains and just let the driver have the bonus rather than capitalize on being able to put a 40mpg tag on a Titanium rather than a 37mpg tag? Seriously doubt it my friend, not when fuel economy is such a buying point these days. That 2-3mpg difference makes all the difference with some buyers. There's NO reason Ford would omit any kind of gains possible. And if they did originally, once AGS was standard on all models you can bet they would have updated that number, too.

EDIT: not to mention, by your logic, if Ford posted EPA ratings with AGS as part of the testing process and they're only good for 1mpg anyway, than they wouldn't be facing any kind of Hyundai-esque fiasco because the difference would be negligible.
Sonic Crew #28