Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #16
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 6,449, Level 52
Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52 Points: 6,449, Level: 52
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
The shutters are not only available on the SFE package though. The 2mpg gain is in all reality due only to the LRR tires, wheel covers and spoiler.

The shutters are available and were supposedly standard on several if not all Foci (now it's all, not in 2011) and were most likely part of the EPA testing procedure as well.
Ha ha ha. Soooo, you're saying that Ford didn't install the shudders on many Foci for the '12 model year, but took credit for them in the EPA ratings for all Foci anyway? And risked a Hyundai style media fiasco? Seriously doubt it my friend.

No, I think the logical deduction is that the EPA ratings for non SFE models did not take into account the shutters and those cars that got them anyway just got an added bonus.

Quote:
SelectShift has nothing to do with it.
Incorrect. You will recall that the '12 base SEs were rated 28/38, but stepping up to the Sport package, which added SelectShift, reduced the ratings to 27/37.

Quote:
So I think expecting decent gains from them is entirely plausible. They reduce drag at highway speeds and bring the engine up to operating temp more efficiently. These two things alone I can imagine having a decent impact.
Imagine all you want. That's what a dark room is for. I was simply asking the OP what his/her justification was. I believe it will be hard to prove a reasonable payback justification.