dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb911 View Post
its weird hearing all these stories of horrible customer service and horrible quality. my focus has a few faults but that is expected in a BRAND NEW MODEL with A FIRST YEAR PRODUCTION ON NEW TOOLING. I have taken mine back for a rattling headliner and a rattling passenger seat along with a wind noise issue with the microphone. Every time I have been treated extremely well with an explanation of the steps involved and the shop foreman speaking to me when the situation could not be duplicated the first time. Hell half the time the foreman would come up with a decision on his own as to why the part failed and would fix it with better results than the standard Ford Recommendation. Compared to what I went through with Chrysler I would buy another Ford in a heartbeat! A majority of complaints I see is with the DCT Transmission and honestly I am shocked at how many people buy a car and are oblivious to what they are buying it is an automated manual transmission with a dry clutch...there's a simple solution just buy a regular manual transmission car and reap the benefits or more durable usage, better gas mileage, longer service life, and the knowledge that regardless of fail it still can be used to drive to a garage or safe spot in order to be fixed. To those who say they do not want a manual transmission or have a leg problem that prevents them from doing so may I suggest the 2013 Ford Fusion?
Given there are known problems with the DCT, notably lousy software for the first, oh 15 months of production, bad clutches (long-shoulder rivets were an intended solution) and leaking seals that contaminate the clutch plates, I think it's not quite right to blame the user. Most of us here knew exactly what we were buying, it just doesn't work very well for some.

As far as buying a manual, 3 problems for many of us: spouses and/or too short gearing on the manual and/or living in an urban environment where a manual is not very appealing.

Further, this is mass-market car that is sold to everyone from enthusiasts to grandmothers, not a Porsche. Without explanation (heck even with explanation) do you expect everyone in this population to understand the DCT difference? Do you think Ford tried to explain the differences to customers? Do you think the salespeople understand the difference? Should this group understand the pluses and minuses of direct fuel injection, too? Electric power assisted steering?

This is a troublesome gearbox. While the basics seem solid, the clutches and software are problems. Even Consumer Reports says so, giving the "transmission minor" trouble area its worst reliability mark.

If the 2013 Fusion had been available when I bought my Focus I probably would gone that way instead. Then I could participate in a forum about engines that catch fire instead. At least the dealer couldn't say "can't duplicate problem"!