Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #1785
mishka
Focus Addict

Fan#: 107408
What I Drive: 13' TB SE Sport Sedan DCT 201A pack

Points 2,230, Level 28
Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28 Points: 2,230, Level: 28
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 mishka Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
If you are in sport mode and rev the engine to near its redline or downshift at a speed that would exceed the redline, the transmission will shift without your command to protect the engine. This is common with automatic/automated transmissions and may be what happened to you.

The gas pedal is not connected to the engine in the conventional sense; it just send electrical commands to the throttle. So there's no reason why it should vibrate.

You'll get many opinions on the first oil change question. Some think leaving it in until the oil life monitor tells you to change is fine. Others believe an early change at 1 -2,000 miles is good to get out manufacturing/break-in debris. I'm a member of the early-change group but have no hard evidence that suggests it is beneficial or necessary.
Hey Dan50 - thanks for response. Well here's what happened: I was on a slight incline and I was at less than 3k rpm (I was in 5th gear I believe) and when I put it into sport mode it nearly redlined when it downshifted.. then it auto-shifted up to protect itself like you said. It has never nearly redlined (when put to sport mode) like this before - I've gone to sport mode on an incline previously and it didn't rev nearly that high, maybe 6k rpm at the most.