feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
v3.5.1 has been nothing but trouble. While several problems were fixed, annoying new problems were introduced.

Example, on my way to work this morning while listening to Sirius/XM I hit the voice command switch and...

Me - "fm"
MFT - "For your safety that device has been disabled"
Me - "fm"
MFT - "For your safety that device has been disabled"
Me - "FM"
MFT - "99 is not a valid channel"
Me - "FM"
MFT - "Adding new device..."

...and up pops the add new device screen. I selected the home button on the steering wheel and the home screen returned but my phone was disconnected and the display info for the satellite channel I was listening to disappeared. This isn't the first time this has happened. MFT -> Time to CTRL-ALT-DEL again.

In other news, it looks like GM has the right idea:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...al-smartphone/

Not perfect and not necessarily better, but definitely a step in the right direction. They provide updates through a phone app instead of a flash image that requires dealer installation or an hour of your time sitting in the driveway while all presets get blown away. Add another 15-30 minutes for reprogramming.

I am developing a similar system on a low cost SoC platform and have been using it in my vehicle with excellent success over the past two weeks. It's not a new concept, but it sure has potential.

Proprietary IVI's are not the future. The smartphone is and will continue to evolve as such. I'd take a Ford over Chevy any day, but I'll make my own toys.
Haven't had any of your issues with v3.5.1 *shrug* so I can't comment on your issues. GMs initiative is cool, but I think a system like MFT with those features would be all the better. I'd rather have the voice commands in my system rather than rely on my phone, and if it's Siri only than that means all Google Voice users are out of the picture, big no no. So the idea is neat, but for consumers to take advantage of it they HAVE to have a smartphone, and at that it seems like they HAVE to have an iPhone to get the most from their system.

So, I agree and disagree. I like MFT, my v3.5.1 has fixed most of my issues, it's very usable now, much more stable, and the only things remaining I can complain about are aesthetics, displayed information, and some small quirks here and there probably brought on by the system interaction with my iPod, not the system being at fault entirely.
Sonic Crew #28