View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #2723
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
v3.5.1 has been nothing but trouble. While several problems were fixed, annoying new problems were introduced.

Example, on my way to work this morning while listening to Sirius/XM I hit the voice command switch and...

Me - "fm"
MFT - "For your safety that device has been disabled"
Me - "fm"
MFT - "For your safety that device has been disabled"
Me - "FM"
MFT - "99 is not a valid channel"
Me - "FM"
MFT - "Adding new device..."

...and up pops the add new device screen. I selected the home button on the steering wheel and the home screen returned but my phone was disconnected and the display info for the satellite channel I was listening to disappeared. This isn't the first time this has happened. MFT -> Time to CTRL-ALT-DEL again.

In other news, it looks like GM has the right idea:
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/...al-smartphone/

Not perfect and not necessarily better, but definitely a step in the right direction. They provide updates through a phone app instead of a flash image that requires dealer installation or an hour of your time sitting in the driveway while all presets get blown away. Add another 15-30 minutes for reprogramming.

I am developing a similar system on a low cost SoC platform and have been using it in my vehicle with excellent success over the past two weeks. It's not a new concept, but it sure has potential.

Proprietary IVI's are not the future. The smartphone is and will continue to evolve as such. I'd take a Ford over Chevy any day, but I'll make my own toys.