Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #1781
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
Hello all,
I have a 2013 DCT and that was buit in March 2012. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any of the issues in this model.
I have put 1800 miles on it in the first three weeks (brand new car). A couple of times it has done a couple weird auto-shifts when I was in sport mode: once when I put it into sport mode it reved up to almost redline (instead of 5-6k RPM, at most, like it normally does. I was on a bit of an incline but it was still really weird. Also I have noticed that the gas pedal vibrates a bit more now than when it was brand new. Also, I drive fairly hard, but do what I can to drive normal/save gas.

Other than that (the weird shift, and the more vibrations) I haven't experienced any significant problems.

Does anyone think I should bring it into a dealership to get it checked out or am I probably okay? Should I try reseting my "shifting strategy", or whatever, that you all were talking about?

And (off-topic) when should my first oil change be?

Thanks.
If you are in sport mode and rev the engine to near its redline or downshift at a speed that would exceed the redline, the transmission will shift without your command to protect the engine. This is common with automatic/automated transmissions and may be what happened to you.

The gas pedal is not connected to the engine in the conventional sense; it just send electrical commands to the throttle. So there's no reason why it should vibrate.

You'll get many opinions on the first oil change question. Some think leaving it in until the oil life monitor tells you to change is fine. Others believe an early change at 1 -2,000 miles is good to get out manufacturing/break-in debris. I'm a member of the early-change group but have no hard evidence that suggests it is beneficial or necessary.