Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Another One Bites The Dust
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #21
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 1,290, Level 19
Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19 Points: 1,290, Level: 19
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
How did you get a hold of Ford's new advertising copy?
By the way, we don't have a lemon law in Canada. We have an alternate recourse which involves arbitration and it's a very long drawn out process.
That sucks. Obviously the consumer protection laws are very different between Canada and the U.S. We also have arbitration/mediation here and when you buy a Ford the dealer has you sign an agreement saying that you agree to arbitrate. However, CA. State law says that consumers are not required to pursue arbitration. In most cases, if there has been at least 4 attempts to repair a warrantable item, then in most cases the car qualifies for the lemon law.

Back in 2000 when I went through my fiasco with my "lemon" I gave the manufacturer more than a reasonable number of attempts to fix the problem. I also went through the arbitration. Guess what? The panel consisted entirely of Ford employees and I was not allowed to attend the hearing. Huh? What a joke and waste of time that was. So as I mentioned earlier, after 12 attempts and 3 different dealers, I decided to stop my bitching and complaining and hired a real pro and it paid off for me. I wouldn't hesitate doing it again if i were ever in that same situation. People need to remember the law is designed to protect us from getting screwed and that includes manufacturers of automobiles. Here's another little tip that most people aren't aware....the lemon law applies to many other things, not just cars. The lemon law covers household appliances, electronics, etc.. It's a shame you don't have that in Canada.