PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tra1969 View Post
Mine goes back to the shop tonight. Took my road trip to kasas city from Michigan. 4 tanks all highway and cruise control at 70 mph. Got 31.3 to 33.8 on all four tanks. Ouch! That's not 40 mph. We will see what they say this time.
While I agree that the numbers are less than impressive, they're not far off from what the EPA estimated. Considering you don't have the SFE package, 40mpg was never expected out of your car - so you're already down to 37mpg (less aerodynamic rims, slightly less aerodynamic vehicle shape if you have the hatch, no LRR tires).

Also, in the winter, tires become less efficient with colder temperatures, the forces due to drag increase, etc. And then there's the speed. I agree with jdubhack - 70mph is pretty fast to be expecting 37mpg in this car. It stinks that the mileage sweet spot is 35-45mph...

I'm averaging 37mpg on Fuelly, but I rarely go over 70mph and I have 15" LRR winter tires with moon cover hubcaps - sooooo, yeah.