Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - MPG inconsistencies (answered!)
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:27 PM  
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,848, Level 32
Points: 2,848, Level: 32 Points: 2,848, Level: 32 Points: 2,848, Level: 32
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixdd View Post
I noticed something a little interesting in the window sticker generated by [url=http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/]Ford Services vs the advertised MPG on Ford US and Ford Canada

On the window sticker and on Ford.ca, both report a city/hwy US MPG of 30.2/42.8 (converted via Google) for the non-titanium, non-ST models

However, on the American website, they quote 26/36 for similar models.

Furthermore, I'm finding the Canadian figures to be pretty much unattainable; even driving like a blind grandmother, and coasting in N rather than using my brakes, I'm only achieving 27.4/35.6 MPG. I am using a manual, but I'm doubting the DCT would give me a 3/7 MPG improvement (especially the highway figures). It seems that the American figures are more accurate.

Then again; it seems like there are many users on this board at least that are doing better than me for mileage. Then again, it seems like I'm sitting right on the average on fuelly.com.

Anyone like to comment?
This has been said before, but to maximize fuel economy don't coast in neutral. While this seems counterintuitive, when coasting in gear fuel supply is generally cut-off as the mechanical connection to the wheels keeps the engine "running". If you shift to neutral, fuel has to be supplied to accomplish the same thing. This won't make a big difference, but manufacturers engineer it this way for a reason.