Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Oil in Cylinders, Failing to cold start
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM  
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Yeah, your problem is going to be the valve cover gasket. Oil leaking in around the spark plugs from the bad gasket will seep up the coil boot and cause the spark to short out. I highly suggest that you get a new valve cover gasket before you end up KOing a coil. The coils are $90 each.

You might want to get some coil boots. Those cost $5-8 each, and are easy to replace. Mine went out about 80k miles.

The valve cover gasket is not hard to change. Don't be intimidated by not having an in-lb torque wrench. The valve cover has metal collars in the screw holes so the only way you will over tighten it is to be trying to break something. The most important thing about tightening down a new valve cover gasket is to be sure that you start tightening down from the center in an X shaped pattern to the outside edges. Never start at the outside working to the inside.

These gaskets are super easy to replace- it's a molded gasket that fits into a slot. Use a screwdriver to lightly pry up the old gasket, and pull it out, then press in the new gasket. That's all you have to do.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.