Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - engine cuts out with right hand turn please help
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM  
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,572, Level 98
Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98 Points: 27,572, Level: 98
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you put it in, or did you pay someone? Those are the symptoms of the bad fuel pump- new or not.

You can try bypassing the fuel cutoff switch. Back in the early days of these switches, there were problems similar to what you describe. I haven't heard of any issues like this in a long time, but it costs no money to check.

Remove passenger side kick panel where the fuel cutoff switch is located. Unplug the fuel cutoff switch, now using electrical tape and a paperclip- bridge the two points of the plug you unplugged so those are connected, then tape over the paperclip to prevent a short on anything metal. Drive the car. If the car doesn't start, then the two points are not connected. Solid copper insulated electrical wire will do the same thing without need for tape.

If that helps, then replace the fuel cut-off switch. I would not suggest driving around forever with the switch bypassed like that. The fuel cutoff switch is designed to cut power to the fuel pump in the event of an accident. If it is bypassed, there is a chance that the fuel pump will continue to run after an accident, and if the fuel line is broken fuel will be pumped out at 60 gpm and could catch fire or explode.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.