Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Bad clutch master cylinder? Or slave cylinder?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 AM   #1
Jack The Ripper
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81179
What I Drive: '04 SVT ZX5 & '10 Mustang V6

FF Reputation: 1 Jack The Ripper Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Bad clutch master cylinder? Or slave cylinder?

Hey guys,

Lately I've been barely driving my car. It's been sitting in the driveway a lot over the past three months. About a week ago my clutch pedal started feeling very slippery, almost as if I had rain water on the bottom of my shoes from wet weather. The clutch pedal feels soft when pushed in, and my brake pedal definitely feels softer too (that might be because I asked the shop to top off the brake fluid reservoir when I got two new tires since I knew my brake fluid was low because of the leak.)

I can still upshift/downshift perfectly fine. My transmission has no problem engaging gears, and the clutch is definitely not slipping. I looked under my car at the bellhousing, there isn't any signs of a leak. The pedal only starts to feel wet after driving around for 10mins after it's warmed up, and there's never a puddle of brake fluid on the carpet. I think I've narrowed it down to the clutch master cylinder going bad, but I just wanted everyone's thoughts/opinions. Does it sound like the CMC, or a slave cylinder? Does anyone know by chanced what the procedure for replacing a CMC is? I.E. How long does the whole job take?

I think I'm going to order this CMC from RockAuto on Tuesday.. let me know what you think about it.

SoCal Crew #666