Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - That power door lock actuator looks to be a PAIN to replace.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #18
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri33 View Post
You can get a (used) Ford shop manual on ebay for around $50. That also includes the wiring diagram. I guess I am sort of chicken because I am a little reluctant to start removing screws if I don't think I can get it all back together again. I am also a little confused about the plastic shield. Mine does not appear to have a shield that runs from the bottom of the door up to the outside handle.
Interesting about the worm gear. It figures Ford would make them out of cheap plastic. Makes me wonder what else is going to break before the car even hits 50K miles. I think when I get this thing fixed I may sell the car.
Cheap plastic is not limited to Ford. This is a vintage issue, not brand or model....everything possible is made of plastic now. My 5 series BMW cost $57K new. It has far more flimsy plastic parts on it than my 2007 Focus. The doors and seat mechanisms are filled with plastic gadgets the break when you touch them. You will not find a modern car with all metal latches and that goes for Lexus too. Lexus' blow their plastic radiators every 50k mi. My BMW breaks more often than my Focus and costs more to repair. This is why a 20 year old Mercedes or BMW is worth less than a Chevy of similar age and condition.